Answers to the Birdly Abodes Quiz

From Home base in Oak Harbor, Kim writes: Thank you all for taking the bird nest quiz. The answers are revealed below each photo.

Nest Number One:
A couple people guessed, Rufous Hornero, and they were correct! This nest was photographed at Costanera Sur Ecological Reserve in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
It was pointed out to us by a guy I jokingly referred to as, "The Naked Naturalist." I wrote a blog post about this several months ago. If you missed the story the first time, here's a link to it. The Naked Naturalist


Nest Number Two: This one stumped everyone.
It's the remarkably beautiful nest of the Hermit Thrush.
The photo was taken at one of my all-time favorite places,
Hog Island Audubon Camp, off the coast of Maine.


Nest Number Three:

I used photoshop to take out the little "Strause Wren"
er,...House Wren, : ) as he left the pocket of t
his pair of
jeans hanging on a clothes line.
Here's the original photo, taken by Tim Daniel.


Nest Number Four:
Okay, truth be told, I'm not 100% sure what this nest is, but I'm fairly certain it belongs to a Least Bittern(?) The eggs in the photo look pretty white, but they are actually tinged a very soft greenish blue. The photograph was taken deep within Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area while doing surveys for ODNR, and as we approached in the punt boat, a Least Bittern flushed from the exact spot.
BUT...there were also American Bitterns in the area. Any thoughts, now that you know the whole story?


Nest Number Five: Once again, Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area provided the setting,
and this photo of a Black Tern nest.


Nest Number Six: We banded several nestlings during our survey at Metzger Marsh that day. All baby birds are not exactly cute, but these tiny fuzzy Black Tern chicks were heartmeltingly adorable. I even heard a hard-core wildlife biologist say, "Awwww..." when we came up on this nest.
Gratuitous close-up of the adorable Black Tern nestlings


Nest Number Seven: Operating MAPS stations (Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship) can present researchers with battles with summer heat, bugs, thunderstorms, and smelly bird banders. My MAPS station, in Sandusky County, Northwest Ohio, tested the grit, determination, dedication, and intestinal fortitude of many a volunteer. What kept us coming back to this remote, deer fly / mosquito infested, insanely hot and humid wildlife area, year after year? The challenges paled to insignificance under the summer morning serenade of bird song, and discovering the lovely nest of the American Goldfinch.


Nest Number Eight:
Lined with the softest down on the planet, and cast in the shadows of a tangle of coastal plants, this Common Eider nest looked like a tiny piece of heaven to me. I was deeply moved by the discovery, and to this day I remember how touched my heart was to be there for that ever-so-brief moment,
looking into this beautiful nest.


Nest Number Nine:
Everyone who took the quiz got this one right! Some of you even pinpointed it to species. Hummingbird nests are the most amazing structures, aren't they?! This Ruby-throated Hummingbird nest was discovered by an Amish family in their yard in Central Ohio. It was in a maple tree, right along their sidewalk, and they had walked passed it day after day before one of them got "buzzed" by Mama as she left the nest, leading to the discovery.


Nest Number Ten:

As a volunteer Bald Eagle Nest Monitor for the Ohio Division of Wildlife, it was my duty to stare at masses of sticks, like the one shown above, through a spotting scope for hours on end, watching for a head, or a wing, or a butt, or ANYTHING to poke out, shift, move, or flutter, in or around the nest. I'm making it sound pretty boring. IT WAS! But I also got to witness some of the absolute coolest bird-related things I've ever seen. On the good days, I'd watch as the birds stood up, rolled the eggs, and waddled back down to incubate tiny potential National treasures; or the pair as they delicately exchanged places on the nest, as one relieved the other of incubating or brooding duties. I watched as adults shifted nervously as eggs hatched beneath them; fed shredded groundhog, fish, turtle, and all manner of dead things, to tiny babies whose massive bills made them look utterly ridiculous; and cried as "my babies" took their first short, but oh-so-brave, flights away from the nest.

I refer to Bald Eagles as "Every Day Birds." If I were to see a Bald Eagle every day for the rest of my life, I would never get tired of seeing them. They will always solicit that intake of breath, that silent, "Ohmygod, look at that," response.

Thanks for taking the quiz, and for sharing our love of birds.
~kimberly

Comments

  1. Kim: I did a post like this some time back, but I'm struggling with yours. My only guesses are for #9 (hummingbird) and #10 (eagle.)

    I'll be back to check the answers - you've got me curious!

    ~Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll take a stab at some of these…

    #1 – Hornero Sp., Rufous?
    #3 - House Wren
    #8 - Waterfowl sp., I found a NOPI nest that looked similar but not quite.
    #9 - Hummingbird, presumably Ruby-throated?
    #10 – Bald Eagle

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3: My guess is House or Carolina Wren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take a crack at this.
    1. Rufous Hornero (Buenos Aires?)
    2. American Robin? I couldn't think of any ground nesting birds with blue eggs and since Robins will nest almost anywhere..
    3. House Wren
    4. Glossy Ibis
    5. Black Tern
    6. Black Tern
    7. Yellow Warbler
    8. Wild Turkey
    9. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
    10. Bald Eagle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing...

    1- Hornero or Ovenbird

    3-Wren (House maybe?)

    6- Maybe Rails. Sora?

    10- Eagle

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Owl, probably Barred
    2. A. Robin
    3. Carolina Wren
    5. Mallard
    6. Royal Tern
    9. Ruby-throated Hummer

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great. I'll take a stab at it.

    1. Some kind of swallow.
    2. American Robin
    3. House Wren
    4. Hmm, something aquatic as the plants look like bull rushes. American Coot? They look too pale.
    5. Some kind of rail?
    6. No idea. Dowitcher?
    7. Vireo? Maybe Warbling Vireo?
    8. Swan
    9.Hummingbird
    10. Bald Eagle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!.. so many nests, even inside the denim jeans.
    Unfortunately I don't have an answer for any of that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I have to go out and buy Paul Baicich's book on nests...thanks...one more book for the shelf...oh wait...I have to buy a new book shelf now too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From Kenn's Drawing Table: Great Black Hawk

Which Way for ABA?